April 2015: Tfl have posted information online of a helpful initiative they’re calling ‘Quietways’.
“Quietways will be a network of radial and orbital cycle routes throughout London. Linking key destinations, they will follow backstreet routes, through parks, along waterways or tree-lined streets.”
TfL are working in partnership with London boroughs and managing authorities to deliver seven Quietway routes by mid-2016:
- Waterloo to Greenwich (Lambeth, Southwark, Lewisham, Greenwich) (
- Bloomsbury to Walthamstow (first phase to Mare Street) (Camden, Islington, Hackney, Waltham Forest)
TfL say that maps for the further five routes are to be made available during spring 2015.
- Regents Park to Gladstone Park (Dollis Hill) (Westminster, Brent, Camden)
- Elephant & Castle to Crystal Palace (City, Southwark, Lambeth)
- Aldgate to Hainault (first phase Whitechapel to Fulwell Cross) (Tower Hamlets, Newham, Redbridge, Hackney, and the London Legacy Development Corporation)
- Waterloo to Wimbledon (via Clapham Common) (Lambeth, Wandsworth, Merton)
- Clapham Common to Croydon (Lambeth, Wandsworth, Croydon).
Further proposals to support cycling in London can be read here.